I made these originally with some added orange zest, but when I made them the second time I accidentally left out the zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg and they were still REALLY tasty.
Below is the simplified recipe:
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBSP baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- 2/3 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oven to 400 °F (200 °C). Grease bottoms only of 12 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl, combine milk, apple sauce and egg; blend well.
- In a medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, baking powder and salt; mix well.
- Add dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Fold in walnuts and cranberries.
- Fill cups 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool for 1 minute before removing from pan.