Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Welcome one and all

I decided to setup a Mining With Munchmo blog where I can talk about the things I've done and the things I plan on doing. I'm ready to record another video, but I've been sick the past few days (as you can tell from my last couple videos) and don't want to subject you guys to all the coughing and sniffling I'd be doing. For now, I'll take this time to discuss what I'm doing in the world.
I currently have two different Minecraft servers setup. The first is my worlds in 1.7.3 housed with Bukkit which I'm waiting to update to 1.8.1 when Bukkit has a recommended build for it. The second is a 1.8.1 vanilla server that I am running because I got impatient while waiting to play 1.8 for the Bukkit update. Once Bukkit gets an update released I plan on moving the world from the vanilla server over into the Bukkit server and turning off vanilla until the next time I need it. Currently, all my worlds are using whitelists because I don't feel like having to deal with permissions and possible griefers. The server is housed on a computer I put together. It is running Ubuntu 11.04 on an AMD Phenom II X2 565 with 16GB of ram and approximately 3TB of storage. I not only use this server for Minecraft, but it also serves all my media for watching over the home network (Xbox, PS3, etc).
As you probably saw in the first video, my thirteen year old son also shares the world with me. Just yesterday he invited a friend from school to play on our server, so in future videos you may see them running around.
I think for now, this is a good enough introduction, so please feel free to drop me a line and ask me any questions you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment