Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Fitness, Nutrition, and Me

So lately I've been spending a lot of time thinking about my health. It's something that really jumped out at me as I've been working on cleaning The House and moving stuff out of there. I'm really out of shape. My work and hobbies are very sedentary; I'm overweight. It bothers me, but I don't ever really feel motivated to do anything about it. Lately that's been changing a bit.
Another issue I have is I get hungry too much. Not sure if it's normal and I'm weak, or I'm doing something wrong with my diet or something, but if I don't eat every couple hours (or if I eat WAY too much all at once) I get hungry. Maybe my portions are out of whack, maybe my diet just sucks, but over time I've been trying to dial in to better eating habits and it's still not helping too much.
Of course, I know my diet still sucks! I mean, I eat pizza every week. . . . like, half a pizza in one sitting. My portions are just out of control, and I think doing something about that will help. This is a gradual process though, because if I just cut back on the large portions without balancing it out with better foods throughout the day, I'll just end up feeling miserable and hungry all the time.
What I did was try to find some healthy, filling snacks I can eat when I'm hungry. One that I found that really jumped out at me was hummus and bell peppers, two foods I really love! I've also decided to try to eat more apples. So now, for lunch everyday I have a nice sammich, an apple, and later I snack on bell peppers with hummus.
Now, one thing I decided to do too was replace the condiments (mayo and mustard) on my sammiches with hummus, it really adds a nice flavor. I knew mayo wasn't all that good for you, and I've never been a huge fan of it, but only after doing this and comparing the nutrition information of hummus and mayo did I realize how bad mayo is! I get to eat twice as much hummus in a single serving and get less calories and half as much fat than mayo!
With this health kick I also decided I'm going to start actually tracking my food intake, so I signed up with MyFitnessPal to track my activity (or lack thereof) and my diet. Luckily, the pedometer app I use on my phone (Accupedo) already has a built-in connection to MyFitnessPal!
The next step, obviously, is to start being more active. Not sure how I'm going to do that, or when I'll start, but it will happen. First I want to get a better understanding of my diet.
So, if you've read this far, what suggestions do you have? What have you done to help your personal health lately? Got any good tips or tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment